Canlaonian of the Month: Rene Campomanes

We've seen this talented gentleman hit the Cebu singing world by storm. At least at one point in our lives, we heard him belt out notes perfectly, we saw him sing with passion, and we witnessed him use his talent for God's glory. And now, we watched with pride as he, along with his two other comrades, championed in the prestigious 33rd Cebu Popular Music Festival held at the New Cebu Coliseum last January 18, 2013. 




Rene Jose Campomanes or Eboy as we fondly call him is a thirty-four-year-old native of Barangay Lumapao, Canlaon City. He has been living in Cebu City for quite a long time now, working as a Miami e-mail auditor for Qualfon Cebu Philippines. Aside from his job, Eboy keeps himself busy by serving the church as part of the Revelation 4:1-8 Choir who sings during Sunday services at the St. Joseph of Mandaue Church. Yes, he is that busy but I was lucky enough to sit down with an interview with him. Now let's all get to know Eboy through our conversation.

The author and Rene during the interview. Chos!


Rhoda: Hello, Eboy. Thank you for gracing me with this interview. By the way, congratulations on winning the 33rd Cebu Popular Music Festival held at the New Cebu Coliseum last January 18, 2013.

Rene: You are welcome, Ding. It’s a great honor to share my experience of victory with you. Thank you also for your support. 

Me: You're welcome too. Uhm, did you already expect the victory or not? How did you feel when your team was declared the winner that night?

R: I had a positive feeling that we could do it to top 3; because we had a different kind of music. Most of them had traditional Cebuano folksong genre while our song was different. It is ideal for an Environmental Program Jingle. And above all, the content of the song is current that everyone could relate (to). In fact, the song is proposed to be the jingle for DENR program.

However, we would still be depending on the Board of Judges’ decision. They were eleven (11) and it’s hard to expect a hundred percent from them.

During the proclamation of winners, I was so shocked because the contestants that we expected to be the Champion got the 2nd Place. So I told my composer that we no longer have the chance since I only expected the 3rd or the 2nd place. The video would show that I was too hopeless during that time. I even expected that we could get the Best Interpreter Award, but it did not happen. But when they proclaimed us as the winner, BOOOM! There were lots of flashbacks in my mind that I could not explain. My mentor/duet partner Medi Baculpo had the same expression on his face that even him could not figure it out. Flashbacks were those dreams that I failed during my audition failures; like HuNino, that we only got the 2nd Prize and the latest was consolation, Philippine Idol and Star in a Million that I even promised not to do it again but this is it, we got Grandest Achievement. I even whispered, saying dili solo. But I’m still grateful.


Me: Wow, I can only imagine the tension, the fear, and the excitement happening that night. Anyway, as we all know, Cebu Pop is a prestigious contest where the competition is tough. Why do you think your entry outshined the others (contestants)

R: Cebu Pop is indeed a prestigious competition in Cebu City and in the Philippines. It lasted longer than the Metro Pop.  Knowing that great singers like Chad Borja, Sheryn Regis, Anna Fegi, Eva Santos, Raki Vega and Vina Morales are products of this said competition. Thus, we (his group) joined forces just to win it with pride. And now, we are the 33rd Grand Champion.

We have outshined other entries because of the content of our song, the melody and the type of music that we had. Our brilliant composer Fr. Charles Jayme was also supportive morally, financially and spiritually. He was able to enhance our music through our Music Arranger Nendel Endrina that was so fitting to our range of voice. He spent a lot of money with the design of our costumes as well. My church mentor/duet partner Medi Baculpo who had made the timeline for our practice a month before the contest. You won’t believe he was the source of our choreography. Thanks to the K-Pop moves.

Most of all, the help of our new Patron Saint Pedro Calungsod where Fr. Charles Jayme had spent most of his time since its Canonization in Rome and back to the Philippines. Furthermore, with the help of our Lord God Almighty, the source of all our talents.

Me: Kabalo diay mag K-Pop si Bro Medi? Hahaha. Bitaw, so after winning the contest, I know you instantly became a celebrity. What appearances (TV/radio) have you gone through? Do you have more (performance) invitations now than before? Did you get to meet and greet with fellow Cebu Pop stars like Anna Fegi?

R: It was so overwhelming after that proclamation. We were interviewed by TV Stations, AM and FM Stations as well as the newspaper reporters from Sun.Star, The Freeman, Cebu Daily News, and even tabloids. In addition, picture-taking with fans kuno from photographers that we did not know; and the next day, I had lots of pending Facebook Friend Requests with the tagged pictures from the contest.

Eboy's taste of stardom

We only had CCTN CH 47 appearance and nothing more. Cebu Pop was not commercially endorsed though. Not just like Sinulog Idol, where you could really see them on TV Stations daily. In fact this was just created as a thanksgiving to Sr. Sto. Nino by the 1st District Congressman Eduardo R. Gullas & Family through the Cebu Arts Foundation.

As for invitations, we are done with the Thanksgiving at the Archbishop’s Palace, Dinner for a Cause held at the San Carlos Seminary, CCTN CH 47’s Handurawan and Aboitiz/2GO invitations. Not too many but I’m happy with what we’ve gone through.
 
We will be performing live on February 23, 2013 at the Mariners Court for a Dinner for a Cause again and hopefully on March18 and 19, 2013 at SM Cinema with the Singing Seminarians as Guest Singers with our composer of course.

We were also invited to sing for Miss Canlaon pageant on March 18, 2013 but obviously there is a conflict of schedule. That’s why, I could not come home. I was so excited with our PASAYAW Festival though. 

Anna Fegi is a jolly person. Of course I was able to greet and had a great time watching her three performances. I wish I could have time getting to know her more, but we were both too busy with the media.

Me: Wow, sosyal. Busy with the media. Hehe. Anyway, what are your plans after Cebu Pop? Invade the universe? Hehe. Go to Manila?

R: I’m planning to join Cebu Pop by 2015, not as an interpreter but as a composer. Of course I would still be serving the church where I have grown spiritually. It has been my foundation of faith since I stayed here in Cebu. I know you are a witness of my dedication, right?

Me: Of course. Mag-apil-apil pa gani mig lingkod sa choir area sauna. Haha. Those were the days. So how long have you been singing?

R: If my memory serves me right, I started singing when I was 6 years old; when my parents let me join Flores de Mayo in my place at Brgy. Lumapao with Cocoy Daragosa, 4 years old with his ukulele; where all our activities involved singing from 1 o’clock until it ended at 3:30PM. 
 
I lost the competition in Canlaon’s Indigay sa Awit (I was 12 years old) when I only got the 3rd place.  I promised myself not to join again. I only preferred joining the choir where I had the confidence since it was a group effort.

Lately, I decided to sing for the Lord by serving the church as a psalmist, lector, commentator and a choir member. There might be no spotlights but there were no criticisms that I could hear. Unlike the competitions, auditions pa lang gani daghan na kaayong negative comments where I could not take. Whereas, in the church I could not hear negative comments for I know that the Lord is ready to accept me, despite of my ugliness [literally] and shortcomings.

Me: So it was not a smooth ride for you then. But what made you pursue your dream even more despite the disappointments you experienced before?

R: Despite of my failures in life, I did not think that my talent in singing was my strength. It was just normal for me because I had already accepted that I would never win if I would force myself to enter into this journey. I really know my limitations; that’s why I did not force myself to join big competitions. I’m only for the church, that’s what I thought and until now. Surprisingly, here comes Cebu Pop and I’m happy that once in my life, the Lord had granted the desires of my heart; the best gift of a lifetime and something that I could share with my children’s children.

Me: Indeed. With the success you have now achieved, what do you want to tell other aspiring singers especially those who feel that they do not have the opportunity to shine?

R: Waiting is okay but it needs an effort to do things to be possible. We are the only author of our own destiny; that’s why, look for a good timing then strike when it’s the right time to shine.

Me: Wow, that is very inspiring. :) I will keep that in mind. Since you did not have the chance to thank all of the people who helped you out and who supported you from the very start, can you give everyone your final message? 
 I would like to personally thank you for being the first one featured on this Blog. I hope that I could be an inspiration to all the aspiring singers who feel that they do not have the opportunity to shine. Well, consider it is not our time yet. Let’s just wait for the right moment to shine. I know it would.
Thank you to my Bro. Medi Matedios Baculpo and family for the encouragements, criticisms and believing my talent despite of all my inferiority and insecurities toward other talented and good-looking performers.

To Father Charles Louis Jayme, it was a wonderful experience that we were able to share our talent with your one of a kind and brilliant composition, Magkuyog Ta, Panalipdan Ta; that made us proud and gave us encouragement to do, work and serve more for the betterment of our group and for the Glory of our God Almighty. We have made it to the Grand Prize. Special thanks to Jing-jing Manching for the Outfit and Make-up and Nendel Endrina, for the musical arrangement.

To the Revelation 4:1-8 Choir, you’ve been my second family since I stayed here in Cebu. I want to thank you for the love, friendship and support that all the days of my life, I’ve always treasured them.

To my family, I love you more. Thanks a lot for the all-out support though all of you were not around during the competition. Wish I could spend quality time with you all.

To my co-auditors namely Jorge Ramonida, Rey Dominic Vladimr Vispo, Harvey Jay Nadonza, Anguilyne Tuyor, Dholly Jade Basergo, Ethel Ocana and Rosemarie Zaragosa, I want to thank you deep in my heart for believing me. I do understand that all of our OKRAYS were just a sort of LAMBING towards our friendship; and I really do appreciate that. 
To all my FB and Canlaonian supporters, friends and relatives, thank you so much for all your heart-warming comments.

Most of all, to our Lord God Almighty, for giving me this talent that I thought it was just a piece of a cake but it gave me a great opportunity to work more Your His Glory.

Once again, I want to thank you all.



2 comments:

Powered by Blogger.